Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Catastrophy

Okay, for this post I REALLY need feedback! I decided to make my family pajamas this year for Christmas. We've done it once before, it was fun, and I thought it would make a good tradition. Well, I never know what to do for my dad, so I thought this year I would include him in the tradition. I found great fabric at a great price and actually had a cleared off table to cut on today, so I got started. Now, I'm not the world's greatest at sewing, but pajama bottoms are about the easiest thing I can think of to sew. Especially with a "Sew easy" pattern. And as I have said, I've done it before. It's a piece of cake. Something you might say "you could do in your sleep" or "with your eyes closed." Well, apparently I tried one of those techniques. I should have taken a picture, but Betty is my witness that for some odd reason, the pajamas look like they might have been for a sumo wrestler. The legs were high waters on me! And the body literally came up to my neck! So what went wrong? I'm still not sure, but since I had used the serger, I needed to cut apart some seams. And there go all the helpful markings. But I can do this, right? Well, I seem to have fixed it a little, because the legs are now the right length and the body is somewhat normal. I say somewhat because the left side is about two inches higher than the right side at the waist. It's at least at waist level though and everything else looks pretty normal. So I think I have sewn two fronts together for one leg and two backs together for the other leg (which is slightly-really, I think it is only slightly- bigger because they are supposed to be for your BUTT.) And all this time, I keep thinking of the Cosby Show episode where Denise tries to make a sweater for Theo-with three arms.) So, do I continue and pretend I have done it right, do I start over including buying new fabric (did I mention it was the most perfect print for my dad?) OR do I scrap the whole thing? And how do I get out of the funk this mess caused? I'm sure I have bad karma now. I'm pretty sure dinner will be burnt. I know I shouldn't buy a lottery ticket today! And if I see a bus anywhere near me, I am running the other way! ARGH!!!! And now I need to go face the music and discover what the kids have been up to while I've been trying to sew for the modest sumo wrestler. Well, my positive thought I am going to try to hold on to is that I say a shooting star this morning and I think they are pretty awesome.

7 comments:

Shandy said...

oh no!!!!
so sorry it turned out like that (but on a selfish note, I did enjoy reading about your catastrophe!!)

I think if it were me, I'd be so discouraged I'd toss it all and go get a some movie tickets for dad - LOL

Alli said...

I hate it when a sewing project goes awry! You'll laugh about it later.

Christy said...

If it was me, I would probably start over (including new fabric) or scrap it like Shandy said and do something else. Projects sometimes just don't turn out like you want them to. You will laugh about it later though.

Kristy said...

I think I did something kinda like it one time. My sister had me take it all apart and make them right. By the time they were done they were two sizes to small for me. I would scrape and buy new, or buy new and use the old for someone smaller. It will turn out in the end.

The Legg Fam said...

This is why I don't sew. I say scrap the whole thing , and go get him some P.J.s at Old Navy or something. Then as part of your gift , add the story of how you tried to make the pefect P.J.s, and that the people in China must have some seacret. I bet he loves the P.J.s and gets a great laugh from the story. Good luck

Matt & Viki said...

Oh my goodness, funny story! That is the reason I stick to Halloween costumes. If there is a mishap we just make t a goofy costume. Your dad should love the story with whatever you decide to give!

Tolmans said...

HEY.... are you home safe yet?