Saturday, January 10, 2009

Don't do it!

Okay, so, I was going to change the look of the blog and then write. After all, it's no longer Christmas. But I made some HUGE errors while trying to do this, and have lost the cute things my kids used to say, which of course, I hadn't written down anywhere else. And that led me to thoughts of my new years resolution, which is to eliminate the occasional swear word that has mysteriously crept back into my not-quite-daily usage. Some of you are so far past this kind of goal. And I thought I was too. But I must have been pushed over the edge sometime in the past year, because, well, I'm having occasional vocabulary issues. Now please, you know I'm not dropping the F bomb or anything like that, but some of the borderline ones are back. Unfortunately, there has been some positive reinforcement from hubbie who always asks concernedly, "Are you okay? Is everything alright?" Well, No, thanks for asking. My mom used to say something like, "You are highly educated and really smart. Surely you can come up with better words to use." Of course, this was directed at my brother, because, well, let's face it, I'm smarter than him and learned not to say those things in front of her. But now I hear those words directed at me.
Anyway, I do have other, loftier goals. I still need my passport. That got put on hold when I got the perm. No good pictures=no passport photo. Plus, these days, with homeland security and all that, I'm pretty sure if you get one of your parents birth places wrong, you'll be denied a passport. So, I need to borrow some white out.
I've been considering giving up soda, but I think I'll wait for Lent. And I've been thinking every time I eat out, I should make myself order a salad. Again, that maybe a better idea for Lent. When is that anyway???
I am planning on being out of debt, except the house, this year.
But mostly, my goal can be summed up by this quote. "The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him, he is always doing both."-James Michener

5 comments:

Shandy said...

Charlotte says the occassionally questionable word?! NO!!! :)

I was going through some char withdrawals and just figured you'd found better friends on facebook and left your blogging buddies hanging - LOL

and loved that quote... very inspirational!

Ami Looker said...

Ahhh the new year and all of its possibilities. I love the quote. I may have to borrow it :)

You know that you were smarter than your brother ;) but you also know that you have always strived to be a better you. You are such a wonderful person. Just continue being you.

Miss you! By the way when are you ever coming back home for a visit?!? You haven't forgotten us here have you? I'll make shrimp dip and peanut butter and chocolate pie for you!! What else do I need to do ;)
~Ami

The Legg Fam said...

Love the quote!!
Just wanted you to know that Brooklyn LOVES having you as her teacher. Thanks so much for helping Derrick and I teach her the gosple. It means a lot to us.

Alli said...

LOVE the quote and LOVE you too!!!

Laurie Nelson said...

I hate to admit it, but I was delighted to hear that you let a @$*^$(( slip. I have been known to do the same and it makes me feel like I am in good company. There is no way I could hold the tongue if I lost all my blog stuff. I am so sorry.