Thursday, January 14, 2010

"You may be right. I may be crazy."

"But it just might be a lunatic your looking for."-Billy Joel

Well, there has been more medical stuff going on here. First, I had a post-partum depression questionnaire given to me and I did not pass. I always pass tests. I'm an A student. Maybe I forgot to study? I don't tell you this because I am worried, but I did think some of the questions leading. The questions always referred to the last seven days. I will type a few of them and see what you all think.

In the past seven days, have you taken blame for things you shouldn't have(paraphrased)? Well, I wouldn't take blame unless I thought I needed it! AND it really is sad when you send one child to school without a coat (because we were late and didn't realize he probably needed one until we got to the bus stop and then we figured "Oh, well, he doesn't play outside because he is a kindergartener") and the teacher finds a coat to send him home with.

In the past seven days, have you found things:
More funny than usual
The same
Less funny than usual?
Can I help it if I don't find midnight spewing, missing homework, undone chores, etc. funny? And what if I do decide after eight days that the midnight spewing was quite impressive and kind of funny? Well, that leads us to medical issue number two. At first, I wasn't concerned about the baby spitting up. All babies do it, right? And we have a lovely nephew who could really spew when he was little and our baby wasn't quite that bad. But we decided to visit with the Pediatrician. I went in thinking it was just acid reflux, but just in case, Adam had an ultra-sound to rule out pyloric stenosis. We are thrilled to report that it appears negative for the pyloric stenosis, which would have required surgery (though there is a small chance we caught it really early and it just didn't show up on the imaging yet.) So, we are treating Adam for reflux for a week, to see if things get better. If they do get better, then he just has to take some prevacid every day. If, after a week, he isn't better, then more tests. The best news is, after ONE DAY, I think I see an improvement. He still spits a little, but it isn't curdled (TMI-sorry), it seems to be an appropriate amount (I'm not changing his outfit, my outfit, and calling in carpet cleaners anymore), and he can go back to sleep after eating! And I think this will help me pass my next post-partum test because maybe I can sleep now. We feel relieved and blessed and thrilled that we are taking care of business. By the way, I want to know if all moms are afraid that their kids' doctor will think they are overly caution and concerned when they take their kids to the doctor? I always worry that the doctor is going to think I am making stuff up or exaggerating or just don't know what is normal. But the doctors we have had always listen to me and usually agree that something isn't quite right. So why do I worry? Because it's a talent!

We had a visit from Grandpa this past weekend for the baby blessing. It was amazing, but the kids (Perry especially) took right to Grandpa Thornley. They knew exactly what to do with Grandpa from the moment he walked in the door. I think partly due to a previous month long visit with Grandma Julie. I forgot to mention that while Grandma Julie was here, Perry gave her the nickname "Umpa." He had previously called her "GRRRRR ANDma." But this time, always with a twinkle in his eye and a sly smile, he called her "Umpa." Even when we corrected him. It was cute.

The last interesting thing that I can think of is the singing going on in our house. The favorite seems to be "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission." Parker and Peter know the whole song. We had a FHE on leading music though, so there is lots of emphasis on the words that occur on the down beat. Which explains why Perry sings "Hope, Mission, Grow, Hope, Ready, Work, Do!" It's super cute, but my words aren't really doing it justice. We also have a new favorite book in our house and it isn't a train book! It's "We're Going On A Bear Hunt." Everyone can read/recite it, except for Adam. We have to act/sign parts of it and it is ofter read more than once a day. At first, the feeling is AGAIN? But the kids like is so much, it's easy to get into anyway.

I hope you all are well and good. Thanks for caring enough to read really long blog entries with no pictures and not always sunny news.

6 comments:

Kat said...

Thanks for writing long blog posts without pictures and not always sunny news.

So glad you are seeing improvement...keep at it Adam. :)


You do NEED to record Perry singing...I want to hear. Wahhh.

Trina Barry said...

I enjoy reading your long posts, with out any pictures. I think long posts are the BEST!

I hope you're baby continues to do well, and you get better rest. Sleepless nights are so hard!

If you ever need a nap, give me a call. :)

Sharon said...

Ooh - a post-partum quiz - hope I pass when it's my turn.

Oh, and I like long blogs :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you can find some humor in life! Hang in there!

Matt & Viki said...

Love your posts too. I have to tell you I appreciate you sharing the fav. book scaredy squirrel. It is now a favorite here too. Sounds like Jan. was a rough month for everyone. We just got back from one night in the hospital with croup cough. Heres to better days in Feb!

The Kemps said...

Where have I been? I'm just now discovering your blog. Luv it!