Sunday, May 16, 2010

An Open Invitation

It's Sunday here and I have been thinking a lot about when I joined the LDS church. And this led me to think about my other mom, Audrey. I always just called her mom though. Anyway, I just wanted to share my favorite memory of her.

I used to be at the Rossiter's house ALL THE TIME. Ami(bff) and I became friends in the Seventh grade and were hanging out together constantly shortly after that. This was amazing. I was quite morose at the time. I confess that I had a potty mouth then. I had no restrictions, that I know of, as to what I watched on TV or listened to on the radio. And even though it was the seventh grade, I already had some questionable friends and influences in my life. So, for the Rossiter's to put up with me was truly a generous thing. And all I can think of today, was the day Audrey-mom told me that I had an open invitation to their house. She meant I was welcome anytime. I didn't have to ask, just come over. I was often fed, chauffeured, taught the gospel, given driving lessons and generally just loved. I was taken on family trips, like the Portland Oregon temple Open house and a trip to Wyoming. I was helped through many heartaches and crushes. And I was often at their house really late because my mom worked 3-11. Closely tied to the first memory is waiting for my mom to pick me up from the Rossiter house. I had to watch for her, so she wouldn't honk the horn or have to come up knock on the door. And I had to peer out the blinds to see. Audrey-Mom didn't like it very much when I disturbed her dust and left finger prints on the blinds. I always thought I could look out without touching the blinds, but I don't think I did.

Anyway, my next thought is how in our church the youth are often taught not to date non-members, don't have your bf a non-member, etc. I understand WHY this is taught. I could have just as easily influenced Ami as she and her family influenced me. Still, I hate hearing those talks/lessons. Because I don't know where I would be without Ami and her family. I love having the gospel in my life. I can't express what a truly dark and dismal view of the world I had when I met Ami, but the gospel has made all the difference in my life. This past year and a half have been so hard. Ami has told me that she has often worried that I would return to that dark place I was in when we met. But she also has told me that I haven't ever gone back. And we both know that that is due to the gospel and my testimony of the plan of Happiness, and my family, the Rossiters.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Thank you so much for sharing that!! My oldest is getting ready to start middle school I have been so paranoid about friends and influences and so your message was just what I needed to hear, I will try to be the better example and not criticize!!!

Monique said...

I'm grateful too for the Rossiter family because if it hadn't been for them and all that you've written about, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of meeting you! You are a dear friend and I think of you often Char! Love ya!

Kat said...

Thanks for sharing Charlotte. :)

Sharon said...

I can relate, and completely understand what you mean. Dating a non-member was the worst experience of my life, and yet, dating a different non-member turned out to be the best experience of my life, as he is now my eternal companion. Ya just never know who is going to influence our lives and how.

Ami Looker said...

Love ya Char! Thanks for the memories and of course a few more tears! You brought into our family so much laughter and love! I am very thankful that we became friends against all of the odds!

Cassie said...

That is so awesome! What an amazing experience for you to have found such a wonderful family to share the gospel with you! You're an amazing person!

thecustercrew said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord always knows what we need. Thanks so much for sharing your story. What a great reminder for all of us to have our homes be open to others.